5.28.2008

TAKS-Schmacks

Cara got her TAKS test (state mandated tests supposedly to help No Child be Left Behind... don't get me started...) results on Friday and did very well. In fourth grade there are three tests - Writing, Math, & Reading. She scored 'commended' on all three!

At her school last year, they gave medals to the students who earned commended on their tests. At her new school, this year, they don't do that... So, I did. Two months ago. I knew she'd do well and I wanted her to feel like her hard work didn't go unnoticed.

We had a little family award ceremony and Bryan, Jordyn & I each put a medal around her neck. Cara beamed from ear to ear. I secretly felt kind of dorky about it until she said, "Mom, if you ordered these for me that long ago that means you really believed in me!"

Of course I do, silly, but nothing's better than believing in yourself. You go girl!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a smart girl! That is great! And she is so nice too.

The Gee Six said...

Ha, like there was any doubt that Cara was brilliant?!? Congratulations Cara on being so awesome! (And kudos Hilary on being such an amazing Mom!)

The Dragonfly said...

you rock as a mom Hilary! and I know I've said it before, but how did you manage to get a mini-you and a mini-Brian? Cutest girlies!

Erin said...

That is great! GO CARA!!! Hil you are awesome...love ya!

Tobi said...

Huzzah! I love that you got her medals months ago. That is just such an inspired idea. Great thinking Hil!

Amanda said...

I am so excited for Cara!! That was awesome of you to get the medals. Way to go Aunt Hil!!!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Yes Hilary you and your daughter are awesome.
And
I totally think we could sit and bad-mouth No Child Left Behind for hours. Good fun.

Amanda said...

Hil,
We have ties for the cousins and uncles to wear, they are wearing lime green ties. The girls don't have to match but if you want to that is great. I am putting our family in green and Beau's in pink and the groomsmen are in purple. So whatever you have works!! love you!

The Dragonfly said...

Tag! I've tagged you on my blog. Check it out and start writing! :)

Tobi said...

Hil,

I'm totally jonesing for a new post from you! Please..I think might be going into shock. Help me Obi Wan. Your my only hope..

Hil said...

Tobi, Sam tagged me and I have 6-word writers block... It's harder than I thought it might be. :) So until I can come up with something I'll skip it and come back to it later. :)