2.28.2008

Basketball is my favorite sport...

...I love the way they dribble up and down the court.

At the beginning of the year, one of the Activity Days leaders, Shannon, called and asked if I would do a "basketball camp" for the girls at the end of February. I was a little taken aback because I'm not in the best shape of my life (oh, to be 18 again...) and at that time I was having difficulty with all of my joints and still didn't know what was going on. "I know you're really busy but Cara said you were a great player..." She did? So, of course, I agreed to do it. There's not a lot that I wouldn't do for that girl. She is such a blessing.

So, last night was the big night. Cara invited our neighbor, Gabrielle, to go with us. She ended up having dinner with us, as well. Right before we were to leave, Cara tried to 'help' by inflating the (already inflated perfectly) basketball and accidentally broke the needle off inside the ball. Sweet. After a quick grab with the pliers, another pump and a few deep breaths (did I mention I've been a little over-aggressive lately?) we were off.

Just so you know, I'm NOT a basketball expert by any means but 13 girls showed up and we did some drills. Passing, dribbling, shooting... It was fun! I had them dribbling through obstacle courses, doing lay-ups, and playing "Knock Out". Some of them, as young as they are, have skills. Then they wanted to try to play a real game... Whose idea was that? It lasted for about 5 minutes and looked more like swarm ball than basketball but there was at least one legitimate basket made.

I'm glad that I did it. The thought to cancel did cross my mind because I haven't been feeling very well this week but it really was a fun time. Even though my body is paying for it today (SO difficult to get my legs and back out of bed this morning) it was fabulous feeling when Cara came up last night, gave me a huge hug and said, "Thanks, Mom. I knew you would do a great job!"

1 comment:

The Dragonfly said...

Isn't that one of the best things about kiddoes - even when we feel mediocre, they think we are great. And I tend to believe that they are some of the most honest critics, so you must have actually done a great job! Way to go Hilary . . . let me know when they sign you up for the Volleyball version.